How Much Water Should You Drink a Day?
In our last post we talked about whether or not . So this brings the question, are you drinking enough water as part of your daily routine?
Most of us need to drink more water – that’s a fact – but how much water is enough water? The answer to this question varies depending on a person’s size and weight, what they eat, the climate they live in, how active they are, and more.
How Much Water Is Enough Water?
According to this article from the Mayo Clinic, an average healthy man living in a temperate climate should drink 3 liters of water per day, while an average healthy woman should drink 2.2 liters of water per day. Another opinion states that we should drink half an ounce of water for each pound that we weigh each day. This should be increased if you live in a hot climate or if you’re very active and exercise a lot.
The easiest way to see if you’re drinking enough water is to peek into the toilet bowl after you urinate. If your urine is very light yellow and relatively odorless, you’re well-hydrated. The darker and more aromatic your urine, the more dehydrated you are – drink more water!
So how can you include drinking more water to your daily routine? Try these tips:
11 Tips to Help You Drink More Water
- Keep a glass of water beside your bed at night.
- Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning.
- Carry a water bottle with you during the day.
- Keep a glass of water on your desk at work.
- Add a lemon slice, mint leaves or frozen berries to give your water some flavor.
- At least once a day, swap a glass of water for that cup of coffee/tea or soda.
- Don’t mistake thirst for hunger – If you feel hungry reach for a glass of water first.
- Eat water-rich foods like cucumber, celery and watermelon.
- Add water to your juice beverages – juices are usually too sweet anyway, watering them down will reduce sweetness and add hydration.
- Drink water before, during and after exercise.
- Drink a glass of water with every meal.
So how much water should you drink a day? Likely more than you’re currently drinking!
How are you adding more water to your daily routine? We would love to hear about your tricks!