Massage and your Immunity
Sneezing, coughing, runny nose, headache—yep, you’ve got another cold.
If you always seem to be recovering from one cold, then coming down with another, then maybe it’s time to show your immune system some love.
Your immune system is the first line of defense against invading illnesses and infections. But the immune system is exactly that—a system, not a single entity. To function well, it requires harmony and balance.
So if you’re looking for a natural way to boost your immune system and increase your chances of staying healthy all year round, you need to treat your entire body. And one of the best (and most relaxing) ways of doing that? A massage.
It’s true. Massage therapy has been used for thousands of years to promote health and well-being. It’s a holistic approach to healing that not only addresses problem areas, but also treats the body as a whole. The benefits of massage go way beyond the immediate bliss we enjoy!
The power of touch
A professional massage does more than just relax muscles. In fact, a good massage has been shown to boost the immune system in as little as one session.
- Decreased levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Stress, particularly chronic stress that continues over long periods of time, is one of the major causes of illness and disease. It breaks down our bodies little by little and makes us more susceptible to getting sick
- Decreased levels of arginine vasopressin, a hormone that can increase cortisol production
- Increased number of lymphocytes, the white blood cells that fight off infection
Massage therapy also promotes healthy lymph flow and enhances your blood’s circulation, two systems that help get rid of unwanted invaders.
In addition to regular massages, there are a few other immune boosting strategies you can add to your routine:
- Get acupuncture
- Exercise regularly
- Get adequate sleep
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Drink alcohol in moderation
If you’re ready to be proactive and take charge of your health naturally, don’t hesitate to contact us or book an appointment online! Our registered massage therapists will have your immune system performing at its best so you can live your life to the fullest.
Image courtesy of Arielle Nadel.