Elbow Wrist & Hand Pain Relief
Limited by Elbow, Wrist, and Hand Pain? Relieve Your Symptoms Today
Your elbows, wrists, and hands are used thousands of times throughout the day. Just think about your typical morning routine: you get out of bed, brush your teeth, shower, get dressed, make breakfast, and begin your commute to work. In just that short amount of time, your elbows, wrists, and hands performed hundreds of different movements!
There are numerous reasons why you may experience pain in these parts of your body. Whether your pain is stemming from an injury, ailment, or some other underlying condition, Equilibrium is here to help. Contact our Victoria multidisciplinary clinic today at 250-388-7888 or 250-590-7888 to schedule your appointment and find out how we can help you relieve your painful symptoms!
Why am I experiencing elbow, wrist, or hand pain?
Most upper extremity injuries result in short-term pain; however, if your pain lingers for three months or longer, it is considered chronic. Chronic pain may indicate a deeper issue that needs addressing.
Elbow, wrist, and hand pain may range from mild to severe, and it may come and go throughout the day. It is also common to feel a tingling or numb sensation, especially in the fingers. Depending on the severity of your condition or injury, it may also limit the way you perform your daily tasks at home and work.
If elbow, wrist, or hand pain is limiting your daily life, don’t hesitate to consult with one of our Victoria manual therapists as soon as possible, to find the relief you seek.
Common causes of elbow, wrist, and hand pain:
Several joints, bones, muscles, and tendons make up your upper extremities. Because of their complex nature, it can sometimes be difficult to figure out where the pain is stemming from. A few of the most common conditions leading to elbow, wrist, or hand pain include:
- Arthritis. Arthritis is very common and affects approximately 53 million Americans. In fact, according to the Arthritis Foundation, arthritis is the most common form of disability in the United States. There are many different forms of arthritis, but it is typically caused by repetitive motions or an injury that impacts the cartilage within the joints of your elbow, wrist, or hand.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). The main job of the carpal tunnel is to protect the median nerve on the inside of your wrist, as well as the tendons you use to bend your fingers. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the carpal tunnel becomes constricted or pinched, which can result in pain within the nerve that can extend throughout your entire arm. A constricted carpal tunnel is typically caused by an injury or by repetitive job-related use, such as assembly-line work, keyboard-heavy work, or driving heavy machinery.
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. Much like carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome is another common form of nerve damage that can lead to elbow, wrist, and hand pain. It is caused by repetitive pressure on the ulnar nerve, which is located on the outside of your elbow and is commonly referred to as the “funny bone.” When pressure is put on the cubital tunnel and surrounding nerves, it can cause tingling, numbness, and pain.
- Elbow Bursitis. At the end of everyone’s elbow is a fluid-filled sac called the “bursa” that serves as a cushion to the elbow bone, also known as the “ulna.” Bursitis can occur when the bursa is compressed due to an injury or repetitive motion, resulting in pain and swelling. Because of this, it is common to see this condition in athletes and students. Elbow pain can be called many things, depending on what activity caused the pain. For example, a tennis player may refer to their elbow pain as “tennis elbow,” a golfer may call their elbow pain “golfer’s elbow,” and a student may say they have “student’s elbow.”
- Sprains/Strains. Sprains and strains to the elbow, wrist, or hand can also result in pain.
Find pain relief with Equilibrium:
Whatever condition may be causing your upper extremity pain, Equilibrium can help. With our treatment methods, we can alleviate your pain, restore your range of motion, and return you to your normal life.
One of our Victoria Physiotherapists, Chiropractors, osteopaths or registered massage therapists will conduct a comprehensive examination to determine the source of your pain and severity of your condition. Afterward, your therapist will construct a personalized treatment plan based on your individual needs. This may include any combination of specialized treatments as the therapist deems fit, such as targeted exercises and stretches, ice and heat therapies, manual therapy, or ultrasound.
Don’t be limited by your elbow, wrist, or hand pain any longer. Contact our Victoria multidisciplinary clinic of Equilibrium today in British Columbia to secure your appointment. We’ll get you started on the right path toward quality treatment, so you can grab ahold of your active life again!