" I have been using Equilibrium since October 2015. The results for me personally have been outstanding. Ashley is an amazing RMT. She has allowed me to become pain-free and gain additional mobility. Kat’s acupuncture treatments have also been of great benefit. I have recommended Equilibrium to all my friends and co-workers. "
What is Acupuncture?
You’re likely here because you’re looking for acupuncture in Victoria, BC. First, let’s talk about what it is, though.
Acupuncture is one of the principal branches of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). TCM is a complete, holistic and non-invasive medical system that has evolved over 3000 years to diagnose, treat and prevent illness. Acupuncture is a procedure which promotes health and alleviates pain.
How Does Acupuncture Work?
Traditional acupuncture is based on ancient Chinese theories of the flow of Qi (chee) and blood through energetic pathways in the body referred to as meridians. Qi is the animating force that gives us our capacity to move, think, and feel, in other words, our “vital force”. Meridians circulate life-giving nourishment in the form of Qi and blood to every part of the body.
In acupuncture, certain points on the body act as gateways to access and regulate the Qi in the meridians via the insertion of very fine needles. Qi regulates the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual harmony of the body by keeping the energetic flows in balance. Imbalances and blockages of the body’s Qi are the root of disease processes. These imbalances may be caused by physical and emotional trauma, lack of exercise, poor nutrition, and chronic stress. Acupuncture works by rebalancing the energetic system of the body and supporting the body’s capacity to heal itself. By alleviating symptoms and treating the underlying cause of disease, acupuncture returns the body, mind and spirit to a balanced state.
What Does Acupuncture Treat?
Acupuncture effectively treats a broad range of acute and chronic conditions and provides preventative care. The World Health Organization acknowledges the ability of acupuncture and TCM to facilitate healing of many diseases. The following list are some of the conditions that acupuncture can benefit:
More and more people are turning to Acupuncture for help with:
- Pain relief: Treatments for acute injuries and chronic pain focus on the nervous and circulatory systems to create an analgesic effect.
- Stress management: Treatments to restore homeostasis focus on regulating blood pressure, the nervous system, and endocrine functions.
- Pre-natal and post-natal care: Treatments focus on endocrine functions to reduce interventions and enhance recovery during and after pregnancy.
- Health maintenance: Treatments focus on improving food metabolism, immune responses, neural and hormonal functions, and biological rhythms.
- Muscular & Neurological Disorders: sports injuries, low back pain, frozen shoulder, tennis elbow, whiplash, carpal tunnel, sciatica, trigeminal neuralgia, post-stroke paralysis
- Chronic Conditions: asthma, arthritis, hypertension, diabetes, insomnia, skin disorders, digestive problems, urinary tract infections, depression, anxiety
- Acute Conditions: colds and flu, sinusitis, headaches, migraines
- Women’s Conditions: endometriosis, infertility, menopausal imbalances, PMS, menstrual disorders, uterine fibroids, morning sickness.
- Other: smoking cessation, weight loss, pain management, post-operative pain, adverse reactions to radiation/chemotherapy
What To Expect
The first visit consists of a detailed health history, a visual inspection of the face and tongue, and the taking of pulses. This information is compiled to provide a picture identifying any pattern of imbalance or disturbance in the body. This is used to formulate a diagnosis and treatment plan specific to an individual’s concerns. Very fine, sterile and disposable needles are used at various points on the body. An average of twelve points are used in a session. You may feel nothing during this procedure, or you may experience a prickling or mild aching sensation, a feeling of heaviness or warmth. The procedure is comfortable and most individuals experience a state of deep relaxation. Adjunctive forms of stimulation may be incorporated into a treatment such as the use of micro-current, herbs, moxibustion and cupping.
How Many Treatments are Required?
As a general rule of thumb, chronic conditions usually require ten sessions. Acute or mild conditions may only require a few treatments. Maintenance treatments may be required periodically. Individual responses are taken into consideration.
An acupuncture session lasts 30, 45 or 60 minutes, during which you are continuously being worked on. The session includes a combination of acupuncture, moxibustion, and semi-permanent micro-needling, and some shiatsu, if requested.
Additional Benefits of Acupuncture
Acupuncture has gained popularity and credibility also due to several additional advantages:
- lack of side-effects
- highly cost-effective, especially if used early in the course of a disease
- easily combines with, complements and enhances other forms of therapy, such as Massage therapy, Physiotherapy, and Psychotherapy thus promoting an integrated approach to obtain and maintain optimal health and well being.
- low risk
What are the costs?
|30 Minutes||45 Minutes||60 Minutes|
|Book Online||Book Online||Book Online|
Fees are covered by most extended health insurance plans. For those with MSP Premium Assistance, a portion of the fee will be reimbursed. Members of Veterans Affairs, RCMP, and the Canadian Forces get Acupuncture treatments covered.
Prepare for your appointment just as if you were going for a massage.
Gift certificates are available for any of our services. Give the gift that everybody loves!
Give the gift everybody loves! Gift Certificates make a wonderful gift and we make it easy to give these to your friends and family…or for them to give you. Simply call us to purchase the gift certificate or purchase through the Paypal portal below, and then we’ll send it in the mail to the lucky recipient. Be sure to include the address that you would like to have the gift certificate sent to and the name of the person receiving in the instructions if you are purchasing online. For more information, Contact Us Today at Victoria, BC Center.