What is a kinesiologist and what do they do?
Kinesiologists can work closely with you to:
- prevent and treat illness or injury through appropriate exercise testing and prescription;
- improve your physical performance in sport, work and activities of daily living;
- oversee the implementation of your individual health care plan; and
- provide support in rehabilitation and wellness management.
Kinesiologists specialize in prevention and management of injuries and chronic diseases – as well as helping to reach peak physical performance levels; they are qualified to implement an exercise program when an injury, impairment or anatomical variant exists. One of the primary services a kinesiologist provides is active rehabilitation, which consists of the assessment of physical function followed by the implementation and progression of an individually structured and tailored exercise program to enhance and promote the safe and dependable return to an individual’s regular life activities.
Part of the bigger picture
We also work as interdisciplinary team members with health professionals from other disciplines to ensure you receive integrated best-practices care for safe and effective treatment. A kinesiologist comes into your rehabilitation or treatment plan after an acute injury phase; during which a person may be visiting a physiotherapist or chiropractor for initial assessments and adjustments.
As of April 1st, 2019, ICBC has committed to make sure individuals who have been in a motor vehicle accident (MVA) have access to the treatment that they need. If this applies to you, ICBC covers 12 kinesiology treatments within 12 weeks of the date of your accident. ICBC also provides physiotherapy, chiropractic, massage therapy and acupuncture. Please give us a call to arrange a multi-modality treatment plan for you to recover best from your motor vehicle accident.
Tips for first appointments with a kinesiologist
- Complete the online intake forms to provide your injury (or illness) diagnosis and information prior to the assessment appointment
- Wear comfortable, gym clothing that you can stretch and move around in.
- Expect to go into a detailed health history and initial assessment that can include any number of range of movement and strength tests, functional mobility screenings, balance and postural analysis.
- Kinesiology services can be billable to extended health benefits. Please keep in mind that every extended healthcare plan is unique; check your plan details for confirmation prior to your first visit.